Order Handler & Operator
Position Summary: The Order Handler & Operator is responsible for safely and efficiently operating a forklift and/or stand-up reach truck and/or box clamp and/or skid steer to move products, equipment, or materials as required in fulfilling customer requests. The Order Handler & Operator will drive a gasoline, liquefied gas, or electric powered industrial truck equipped with lifting devices such as forklift, boom, scoop, lift beam and swivel hook, fork grapple, clamps, or elevating platform, to push, pull, lift, stack, or move products, equipment, or materials by performing the duties outlined in this job description.
- Order Picking – Efficiently pull and prepare (pick) customer orders for shipment, ensuring that the correct number and type of product is loaded and shipped. Assemble various types of merchandise for shipment. Carry or transport orders to shipping locations or delivery platforms, sometimes with material handling equipment. Stencil, tag, or mark orders as requested. Perform these picking duties in an efficient manner that meets customer service standards.
- Receiving / Put-Away – Safely and efficiently unload inbound shipments and move product to storage locations, and efficiently stack and store the merchandise in the appropriate areas.
- Repack – Repack and weigh any orders that require such handling when necessary. Report quality variances and handle the sub-standard product as requested.
- Quality – Ensure inbound and outbound shipments are accurate and free of damage. Report quality variances and handle the sub-standard product as requested.
- Equipment – Operate forklift and/or stand-up reach truck and/or box clamp and/or skid steer in performance of order filling duties when required. Load, unload, move, stack, and stage product and materials using a forklift, clamp truck, or other power equipment as required. Use radio frequency equipment for picking, receiving, put-away, and load functions, as required. Maintain the facility’s equipment and materials in a neat, clean, and orderly fashion. On a daily basis, inspect and perform preventative maintenance (PM) on the forklift and/or stand-up reach truck and/or box clamp and/or skid steer or other equipment. Operate all equipment in a safe and efficient manner following prescribed work methods.
- Inventory – Conduct physical inventories as required. Keep appropriate records and reports to guarantee that tight inventory control and security are maintained. Assist in physical inventories. Ensure proper stock rotation.
- Safety, Sanitation, Security – Maintain a clean, neat, and orderly work area. Assist in maintaining the security of the warehouse. Conduct operations in a manner that promotes safety. Comply with OSHA, MSDS, and Port City Logistics Safety Standards.
- Loading – Safely and efficiently move product from staging and/or storage areas into containers (rail cars or trailers), box trucks, flatbeds, and/or personal vehicles.
- Maintenance – Perform or assist in performing building, grounds, and equipment maintenance as required.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills / Qualifications
|Education||High school diploma, GED, or equivalent|
|Knowledge||First-hand understanding of inbound and outbound warehouse shipping processes|
|Skills||Position Summary: The Order Handler & Operator is responsible for safely and efficiently operating a forklift and/or stand-up reach truck and/or box clamp and/or skid steer to move products, equipment, or materials as required in fulfilling customer requests. The Order Handler & Operator will drive a gasoline, liquefied gas, or electric powered industrial truck equipped with lifting devices such as forklift, boom, scoop, lift beam and swivel hook, fork grapple, clamps, or elevating platform, to push, pull, lift, stack, or move products, equipment, or materials by performing the duties outlined in this job description.
bility to maintain, service and operate warehouse machinery and equipment; Ability to effectively manage time while managing the demands of multiple tasks
|Reading||Moderate – Ability to read written instructions, manuals, order requests, bills of lading, container detail reports, machine equipment readings, measurements, or gauges; ability to have attention to detail and to have moderate reading comprehension skills (English)|
|Math||Moderate – Ability to count accurately, do simple math (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division), write legibly, read numbers, and correctly complete mathematical problems in situations that require a mathematical resolution (e.g. inventory discrepancy)|
|Writing||Ability to write correctly, legibly, and often detail-oriented information|
|Policy / Decision Making||(none)|
|Technical Skills||Ability to use a physical, digital time clock; to use a bar code scanner; to use a calculator; to use a hand held radio; to safely and efficiently drive a forklift and/or stand-up reach truck and/or box clamp and/or skid steer|
|Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills||Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with others in a close working environment or over a great distance via hand held radio; ability to efficiently coordinate work and to work as a team with internal and external employees of the company|
|Training||The Order Handler & Operator requires satisfactory completion of New Hire Safety Training provided by the employer|
Preferred Skills / Qualifications
|Certification(s)||Forklift and/or Reach Truck and/or box clamp and/or skid steer|
|Technical Skills||Ability to operate a scan gun
Ability to use a computer for basic skills, including but not limited to: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook (email); and an inventory management system
- Frequent lifting and bending
- Constant movement
- Extended periods of time during which this person must be capable of sitting, standing, and walking
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds
- Extreme Temperatures – Seasonally, employees may experience heat, cold, and extreme temperatures
- Wetness and/or Humidity – Seasonally, employees may experience bodily discomfort from moisture
- Noise and Vibration – Often (daily) employees may experience noise and/or vibration sufficient to cause hearing loss
- Physical Hazards – Frequently (daily or several times per week) employees may experience exposure to dangerous machinery
Primary Work Location
- Office Environment
Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Safety Vest
- Steel toe boots/shoes
- Hard Hat (required only for the Satellite Logistics accounts)
- Full face respirators (required only for bag dump procedure)
Optional Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Safety Glasses
- Ear Plugs
Important Note: This job description reflects the current assignment of essential and non-essential functions and is not meant to be all-inclusive nor serve as an agreement of employment. Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time.
Meet Our Team
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Marketing Officer
Director of Client Relations
Chief Operating Officer
Director of Business Development / U.S. Customs Compliance Officer