Quality Control Clerk
Position Summary: To maintain quality standards by inspecting, testing, approving, consolidating, and repacking incoming materials; and, to maintain accurate records of the quality of incoming products given quality standards. When needed, the Quality Control Clerk is responsible for filling, packing, and shipping customer orders – for delivering them to or removing them from the dock platform or container in a manner that meets company standards for safety, security, and productivity. In addition, as needed, this person is responsible for moving, locating, relocating, stacking, and counting merchandise as appropriate to fill customer order requests. The Quality Control Clerk is responsible for safely and efficiently operating a forklift and/or reach truck to move, locate, relocate, stack, and count merchandise.
- Inspections – Perform quality control inspections on each product of a different SKU on each inbound container that is received, including but not limited to these tasks: stretching, smelling, weighing, performing stress tests, and taking the measurements of products. Perform random quality inspections as needed. Perform upon-request inspections as assigned.
- Damages – Complete a daily walk-through of the account locations in the warehouse to locate, pull, and track/log damaged product. Evaluate all damaged product for quality issues, documenting concerns for the Account Supervisor, Warehouse Manager, and/or management to review. Relocate damaged products from its current location to the designated area for damaged products and document the location change.
- Repack – Combine and repack any orders that require such handling when needed. Report quality variances and handle the sub-standard product as requested. Ensure that the repack location is stocked with specified products, track inventory, replenish inventory, and keep the work area neat and organized. Document the specific types of products used for repacking, the source locations, and the remaining damaged product.
- Testing – Complete quality testing, document results, and transcribe data in accordance with company and/or customer’s standards, when needed.
- Inventory – Conduct physical inventories as required. Keep appropriate records and reports to guarantee that tight inventory control and security are maintained. Assist in physical inventories. Ensure proper stock rotation.
- Safety, Sanitation, Security – Actively promote and personally observe safety and security procedures, including the proper use of equipment and materials. Maintain a clean, neat, and orderly work area. Ensure that the warehouse account area is clean and free of debris at the end of each shift. Assist in maintaining the security of the warehouse. Conduct operations in a manner that promotes safety. Comply with OSHA, MSDS, and Port City Logistics Safety Standards.
- Maintenance – Perform or assist in performing building, grounds, and equipment maintenance as required. Maintain test/measurement instruments and equipment used in the inspection and testing of products.
- Program Development – Provide input for improvements to quality control program.
- Material Handling – Assist with material handling in the warehouse as needed:
- Order Picking – Efficiently pull and prepare (pick) customer orders for shipment, ensuring that the correct number and type of product is loaded and shipped. Assemble various types of merchandise for shipment. Carry or transport orders to shipping locations or delivery platforms, sometimes with material handling equipment, and stage them for review. Stencil, tag, or mark orders as requested. Perform these picking duties in an efficient manner that meets customer service standards. When necessary, wrap orders.
- Receiving / Put-Away – Safely and efficiently unload inbound shipments and move product to storage locations, and efficiently stack and store the merchandise in the appropriate areas.
- Review – Review all orders to ensure order accuracy and quality standards.
- Equipment – Operate forklift and/or reach truck in performance of order filling duties when required. Load, unload, move, stack, and stage product and materials using a forklift, clamp truck, or other power equipment as required. Use radio frequency equipment for picking, receiving, put-away, and load functions, as required. Maintain the facility’s equipment and materials in a neat, clean, and orderly fashion. On a daily basis, inspect and perform preventative maintenance (PM) on the forklift or other equipment. Operate all equipment in a safe and efficient manner following prescribed work methods.
- Loading – Safely and efficiently move product from staging and/or storage areas into containers (rail cars or trailers), box trucks, flatbeds, and/or personal vehicles.
- Other duties as assigned
Required Skills / Qualifications:
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies in order to perform the essential functions of this position.
|Education||High school diploma, GED, or equivalent|
|Knowledge||First-hand experience in quality control / assurance in a warehouse distribution environment. Maintain updated knowledge on and ensure team member adherence to company and customer policies, procedures, and/or best practices.|
|Language||Intermediate – Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of an organization. Ability to read written instructions, manuals, order requests, bills of lading, container detail reports, machine equipment readings, measurements, or gauges; ability to have attention to detail and to have moderate reading comprehension skills (English). Ability to write correctly, legibly, and often detail-oriented information.|
|Mathematical||Basic – Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, and to draw and interpret bar graphs.|
|Reasoning||High – Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner. Ability to gather and analyze information skillfully. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.|
|Computer Skills||Ability to use a computer for basic skills, including but not limited to: Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook (email); and an ordering and/or inventory management system|
|Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills||Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with others in a close working environment or over a great distance via hand held radio; ability to efficiently coordinate work and to work as a team with internal and external employees of the company; ability to work effectively with other staff members to accomplish tasks and departmental projects|
|Training||The Quality Control Clerk requires satisfactory completion of New Hire Safety Training with the company.|
Preferred Skills / Qualifications
|Certification(s)||Forklift and/or Reach Truck|
- Regularly using of hands, and reaching with hands and arms
- Regularly stooping, kneeling, bending, crouching and/or crawling
- Regularly talking and hearing
- Regularly smelling
- Regularly lifting and/or moving up to 40 pounds
- Vision Requirements:
- Close Vision: Clear vision at 20 inches or less (accepted with corrective lenses)
- Distance Vision: Clear vision at 20 feet or more (accepted with corrective lenses)
- Peripheral Vision: Ability to observe an area that can been seen up and down or the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point
- Depth Perception: Three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships
- Ability to Adjust Focus: Ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus
- Ability to See Color
- Constant movement
- Extended periods of time during which this person must be capable of sitting, standing, and walking
- Extreme Temperatures – Seasonally, employees may experience heat, cold, and extreme temperatures
- Wetness and/or Humidity – Seasonally, employees may experience bodily discomfort from moisture
- Noise and Vibration – Often (daily) employees may experience noise and/or vibration sufficient to cause hearing loss
- Physical Hazards – Frequently (daily or several times per week) employees may experience exposure to dangerous machinery
Primary Work Location
- Office Environment
Required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Safety Vest
- Steel toe boots/shoes
- Hard Hat (required only for the Satellite Logistics accounts)
- Full face respirators (required only for bag dump procedure)
Optional Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Safety Glasses
- Ear Plugs
Important Note: This job description reflects the current assignment of essential and non-essential functions and is not meant to be all-inclusive nor serve as an agreement of employment. Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time.
Meet Our Team
Chief Executive Officer
Chief Financial Officer
Chief Marketing Officer
Director of Client Relations
Chief Operating Officer
Director of Business Development / U.S. Customs Compliance Officer